Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Low Fat-Sugar Free Banana Bread

This is my go-to recipe when the bananas start turning brown - the kids even love it and it is good for you, too!
  • 2/3 cup Splenda
  • 1/4 cup margarine, softened (you can also use applesauce instead, which I frequently do)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 T. Vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup water (or milk)
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

I don't usually lay out all my ingredients ahead of time - I'm not sure why not. But, I've kind of gotten used to doing it for you and may not ever be able to quit now. lol

This recipe comes out PERFECTLY in a {kitchen tool company} Stoneware Loaf Pan. I've made it for many years in a glass and metal loaf pan and never did it turn out as well as it does in stone. Usually in my glass or metal pans, the outside was too brown and the inside middle was dough-y. Yuck. If you don't own any other piece of stoneware, this one would be the one I'd recommend. Or a pizza stone because it's so versatile, but I still use my loaf pan more.


OK, back to your banana bread - cream your butter (or applesauce) and sugar (Splenda) together. I do it in a KitchenAid stand mixer (because I <3 that thing) but you can do it in a {kitchen tool company}
batter bowl with a hand mixer, too. Pictured is the adjustable Measure-All measuring cup which you'll see me using a lot because I can keep re-adjusting it for each ingredient instead of pulling out a clean measuring cup from the drawer.


Add the vanilla, eggs, bananas & milk and blend together. Mix in the baking soda, salt, baking powder & flour just until moistened.



 Pour the mixture into a loaf pan. It come out better if you use stoneware. The thing about stoneware is that it is naturally non-porous so things don't stick to them while cooking & they cook so much more evenly. The more "seasoned" they are, the better they actually work. It's kind of impossible to make them look new again (and you never EVER wash them with soap) but that's also what makes them work so well - they become a natural nonstick surface over time. If yours still looks pristine, you may want to bake some meatloaf in it a few times before using for breads or brush the inside with oil before baking. It won't take long to season it so you only have to do that a couple of times and it's ready to go!


Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. See how beautiful it turned out? The outside has a nice crisp crust and the inside is soft & sooo good!


Moist and delicious and already half gone :) You can double the recipe and freeze one loaf if you've got two stones (or rinse your first one after it cools and bake the next one). It keeps really well especially if you wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and put it inside a freezer bag. I also wrap it in a layer of foil before putting it in a freezer bag and it stays nice & moist for months.

Email me for more information on all the products used or if you have any questions about why the "{kitchen tool company}" references instead of the actual name: rachael.9667 AT gmail DOT com

0 comments:

Post a Comment